Students Will create a Bamboo Cannon for the Independence Day, as it is the traditional Indonesian firework which is mainly used on Independence Day.
- Choosing suitable Bamboo and its criteria
- Cutting equal length 4 Bamboos
- Removing the Inner Nodes to have a clean path, except for the last node, it should not be removed
- Drill a circular hole near the unremoved Node as in the diagram above
- Paint and decorate the Bamboo
- For reinforcement, we will wrap parts of the bamboo with duct tape, especially near the hole, because the explosion will happen there.
Testing & Safety:
For safety reasons, students will have to wear safety goggles, helmet, gloves and shoes, a demonstration will be given before they can try to fire it.
- Place a rock beneath the middle of the bamboo to create an angle.
- Add some extra rock on the sides to hold the bamboo in place when fired.
- Add some water into the hole.
- Insert a small piece of Sodium Chloride into the hole.
- Cover the hole with a piece of wet cloth.
- Wait for 30 – 50 sec
- Remove the wet cloth and quickly and carefully fire it.
- Tilt the bamboo to release the water and ready to fire again.
When the water is added to the calcium carbide. The carbide reacts immediately with the water releasing acetylene gas, this gas is flammable and explosive when a spark of fire is brought near it explodes.